[AMRadio] Info On ATT U-VERSE Problem

Bruce bsugarberg at core.com
Fri May 8 14:13:04 EDT 2009

Hello,

Here is what the link Avery W3AVE sent has to say about the problem:

73, Bruce WA8TNC
================
Check this out:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r21536214-Ham-Radio-and-ATT-UVerse
-IPTVInternetPhone-Problems

Avery W3AVE
Ham Radio and ATT "U-Verse" IPTV-Internet-Phone Problems

During the last 3 weeks, I have talked on the air with 3 different hams who
are going through a new kind of nightmare with the ATT U-Verse
broadband/HDTV/phone package that has arrived in their neighborhoods. In
all three cases, the U-Verse package was of the FTTN variety which is fiber
to the node and then twisted pair (copper) for the last 2500 feet
throughout the neighborhood.

It appears that these FTTN installations are very susceptible to ingress
from the HF spectrum between 1 - 10 mHz. According to the hams I spoke
with, when they were operating on 160 meters through 40 meters, even with
RF levels at or below 100 watts, they were completely disrupting their
neighbor's U-Verse installations. STB's crashed, internet and phone
connections were dropped, and video was frozen, tiled, or simply went to a
black screen.

When the affected subscribers contacted ATT, no resolution was offered. It
turns out that filtering is not really an option since ATT is sending RF
between 1 mHz and 9 mHz right down the copper twisted pair. If you attempt
to filter out RF from the HF spectrum, you will also filter out the IPTV -
internet - phone signals that are supposed to be there. Some U-Verse
subscribers are experiencing ingress from SW broadcasters from the 5 mHz -
8 mHz bands when propagation is really rocking.

At this time, all three hams are trying to be good neighbors, one is even
attempting to re-orient his wire antennas to reduce coupling, but really,
this is NOT their problem. That doesn't mean they aren't getting a little
heat from their neighbors though.

Has anyone else heard about what is going on with this stuff? It has been
over 25 years since I got a knock on the door with a TVI/RFI complaint.
Generally, if they were civil, I would listen, smile and nod at the
appropriate times, then thank them and offer a QSL card to confirm their
5-9 reception report. After demonstrating that I interfered with none of my
own television-phone-stereo equipment, even with a kilowatt of RF, I would
escort them to the door and suggest that they call or write to their TV
manufacturer or the phone company to resolve their problem. If they were
nice, I'd even offer to help them write the letter, or assist with the
phone call. But that was it.

This just looks like another rats nest ready to fall on our heads. Anyone
else hear anything about this issue?

Rob W1AEX