[AMRadio] HF homebrew 100 plus watt vacuum tube Transmitter

Brett Gazdzinski Brett.Gazdzinski at verizon.net
Sun May 10 20:22:10 EDT 2009

There are loads of tubes that are available and cheap.
6146, 4D32, 811, 812, 4-125, 813, etc.

You can get all of them cheap if you look around.

I have been running the same 813's in the big rig for the last 25 years!
The 3x 4D32 rig has had the same 4d32's in it since built about 5 years ago.
The 32V3 has had the same 4D32 in it for the last 30 years...

Linear amplifiers seem to go though tubes more than a well designed and
built AM rig does.

The old Bill Orr handbooks (red and yellow) have lots of great rigs in them.
Figure out what voltage and current you can get:
6146, 4D32 like 700 volts up to 1000 volts.
811,812 like 1500 volts,
the 813 likes 2000 volts,
The 4- series tubes like 2500 volts and up...

If you want to build something easy, you can do one or two bands, like 80
and 40 meters, drive the rig with a icebox (about 10 watts), and drive the
modulator grids with a hifi amp.

Two 6146 tubes will do 100 watts carrier, one 4D32 will do about the same,
two 4D32 tubes can do 200 watts, I run three for 300 watts of carrier.
A pair of 812a's in push pull will do 300 watts carrier, a pair of 811a's
make nice modulators for that.
An 813 will do 300 watts, a pair over 600 watts, that is 2400 watts pep
easy.

New 4D32 tubes were going for $20.00 when I got a bunch 5 years ago or so.
I think you can still find 811a's and 812a's at fests for cheap.

A good mod transformer is harder to find than tubes.

Brett
N2DTS