[AMRadio] SX101A

Craig C. Heaton wd8kdg at worldnet.att.net
Fri Nov 6 14:37:31 EST 2009

This isn't really the answer, just a suggestion.

#1: It's your radio.
#2: Some believe caps can be reformed, others believe reforming is an old
wives tale.

I can't think of anything that entered my shack that I plugged in and hoped
for the best. Every receiver & transmitter was checked against the schematic
for mods, burned resistors, smoked wiring, bulging caps, etc. Checking every
part before applying power has saved me money, plus I've never had to go
back and do it again.

The best way to check old electrolytic caps is to cut them in half with wire
cutters and take a look inside. Now there is no doubt they are bad , replace
them! Just about any of the glow in the dark radios have a history of
something going wrong. Check those first.

If this SX101A is going to set on the shelf as a beauty queen, don't bother
with anything. But don't plug it in.

If you have to bring it up to voltage on a variac to be safe, then that's
the way to use it every time it is turned on.

If it can't take full voltage, you missed something! Might use the variac
for the first smoke test.

PS: now looking for my nomex

Craig,