[AMRadio] Collins 618T system info wanted

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Sun Nov 15 22:01:15 EST 2009

   Hello AMradioers:

I just drug home (literally!) a Collins HF transciever system, designed
for vehicular mounting.

   In it is the well-known 618T (RT 698/ARC-102); a 426T-1 inverter, and a
700B-2 TTY converter.

    Al this is in a big green submersible case/cabinet, with a 313V-1
control head.

   The whole thing is: Reciever Transmitter Group 718F-1

    I'm not a GreenRadio collector, but I am sort-of-basically familiar
with the 618T, and somewhere I have the docs on the 700B.  I'd like to
have any thoughts, wisdom, cautions, etc about the radio and it's
components... I'm thinking it might be fun to put it on the air, as
several articles call out the good audio quality, both SSB and AM, and of
course it's 400W PEP.

    I have no idea yet what to do with the lovely vehicle case...  not
planning on doing any off-road DXpeditions anytime soon. hihi..

    I'd welcome any and all comments on this radio, on the list or
privately. I don't know much about the system as a whole.

    I'll post this to the Boatanchors list as well - but I'm not all that
keen on subscribing to any mil- or green- radio lists, too much in my
inbox as it is.  If you'd like to crosspost this to one of those, please
do - but direct replies to me personally.

  Cheers

John KB6SCO
Carson City