[AMRadio] RE 75A4 and other old gear

JAMES HANLON knjhanlon at msn.com
Fri Nov 20 10:42:35 EST 2009

I have my original HRO-50, purchased new from Steinburgs in Cincinnati in the summer of 1950 (thanks, Dad!).  It's had a few mods over the years, like a pair of mechanical filters and a tee-notch, a product detector and audio derived avc, saturated reactor filament regulation for the local oscillator, mixer, and bfo, a noise limiter ala the NC-303, and a calibrator that gives me markers at 100 kc, 50 kc, 25 kc, or 10 kc.  I also put a muffin exhaust fan on the back that materially reduced the warm-up drift.  It's still my favorite, go-to receiver.

Jim, W8KGI