[AMRadio] Solid State 575 mercury vapor RectifierReplacementsneeded

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sun Oct 4 16:17:58 EDT 2009

Jim W5JO wrote:

>What kind of resistor do you use in this type of rectifier build to
>simulate the voltage drop?

I prefer cylindrical wirewound power resistors for this job (they seem
to be able to take more surge current than the sandy rectangular ones
in case of a fault downstream).

To calculate the value of resistor, use Ohms law R=E/I  and P=IxEwhere
R is in ohms, E is the desired drop in volts, and I is the current in
amps, and P in watts

For example, lets say your B+ is 50 volts too high.  The load draws
0.250 amps.
 R= 50/.25 = 200 ohms.
 P= 0.25x200=50 watts.

If the resistor ends up to be hard to find or expensive, it might be
easier to eliminate the reasons why the higher B+ is a problem.  And
more efficient too.   Upgrading some capacitors could be a reasonable
approach.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/