[AMRadio] Solid State 575 mercury vapor RectifierReplacementsneeded

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sun Oct 4 16:22:42 EDT 2009

>My understanding is that they no longer require the equalizing
>resisters and caps across them as the reverse current is similar to
>avalanche diodes,    they are so cheap now that you
>can just stack 20 of those rascals.

Yep, that's been my experience too.  I prefer to use diodes that are
all from the same "run", at least bought at the same time, so that the
diodes are similar to one another.  But that precaution may not be
necessary.

>If one ... needs more than one amp, it is very easy,
>just build two stacks and add a little resistance in series with
>each stack before connecting them in parallel. the resistance nearly
>balances the load between each stack as the drop across the resistor
is much
>more than the drop across the diodes.  ten Ohms should work fine.

Excellent point about putting strings of solid state diodes in parallel
for higher current capacity.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.

Hi Steve: I have used the 4007s many times. My understanding is that
they no
longer require the equalizing resisters and caps across them as the
reverse
current is similar to avalanche diodes,    they are so cheap now that
you
can just stack 20 of those rascals.  some one needs to check that. also
if
one is concerned about forward current and needs more than one amp, it
is
very easy, just build two stacks and add a little resistance in series
with
each stack before connecting them in parallel. the resistance nearly
balances the load between each stack as the drop across the resistor is
much
more than the drop across the diodes.  ten Ohms should work fine.
Bernie
W8RPW---- Original Message -----