[AMRadio] Any amplifier suggestions?

Edward Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Mon Oct 5 12:52:28 EDT 2009

Hi Todd,

A rough rule-of-thumb to help get you started in your choice of tube(s) is
the following: your carrier OUTPUT---when the linear amplifier is used as
such, i.e. to boost the AM signal driving it from your exciter---is equal to
ONE HALF of the plate dissipation of your tubes...

I have a pair of G-G 813s in my HB kilowatt: each 813 is good for 125 watts
of plate dissipation, so one tube alone would be good for 62.5 watts of
carrier output in AM linear mode...the pair of them gives me a total of
125-watts of carrier, with a drive of some modulated 15 watts, or so, at the
linear's input jack...

No, it may not be "as good" to the purists as a full-bore 200 watt plate
carrier modulated by some 100 watts of P-P class B audio, but it'll STILL
make your presence on the band known, and in pretty good fashion, too...

Besides, have you seen many 100 watt plate modulation transformers for sale
anywhere lately...?!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ