[AMRadio] Any amplifier suggestions?

Greg Mijal bluebirdtele at embarqmail.com
Mon Oct 5 14:55:17 EDT 2009

Hi Todd:

Sounds like a fun project.  I use a Swan MK2 amplifier on am for 200 w out
using two 3-500Zs, input is 30w from an Elmac AF 67.
For 2 kvdc I think I would look into a pair of 813's running in grounded
grid.  The 813 is a very rugged tube and show up at the flea markets and  at
reasonable prices too.  The 572B might be a good choice too but cost more.
You said you needed a matching system and also that fewer parts is better.
I recommend you avoid build an L tuner.  That's the random wire tuner using
one capacitor and one coil.  I've used them before and they seem to put alot
of RF in the shack.  I got nipped a bunch of times using a metal D 104 mic.
I switched to a T tuner - two caps, one coil and an a balun and the shack rf
disappeared.
Anyway,  have fun!
Greg
WA7LYO