[AMRadio] amplifier question

Bernie Doran qedconsultants at embarqmail.com
Mon Oct 5 18:53:01 EDT 2009

I frequently see questions regarding building an amp and seeking a schematic
or other information. I think there is only one answer, DO NOT DO IT WITH
OUT A LOT OF HELP FROM SOMEONE THAT WILL BE THERE WITH YOU!  If one has to
seek a schematic they are simply not ready to work with high voltages, there
is no such thing as a slight electrical shock when using the typical
voltages in even a moderate power amp. these things will KILL YOU.

When was the last time you saw a lineman working on power lines by himself?
Never.  There is an old verse  that fits this" there are only two types of
motorcycle riders, those that have gone down and those that are going to go
down".   I was hit at  about 16 years old, it was only 500 volts from my
finger to my elbow, same arm, I thought my arm was broken, could not move it
for probably 30 min.   so now 50 + years later, I am still afraid of the
stuff and that is a good thing.  One has to hear a capacitor or major fault
with with a 3kv + supply every now and then to realize that this is not
something to be casual about.

This is not meant to discourage, but it is a lot safer and probably cheaper
to buy a manufactured amp unless you have a lot of experience.   Please do
not kill your self. Bernie W8RPW