[AMRadio] antennas

BILL GUYGER bguyger at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 18 00:18:07 EDT 2009

I missed the original post, but this thread seems to be about sealing coax connectors. I have started using 3M Scotchfil which is an electrical insulating "putty" that comes in 1" wide rolls. It's the same stuff that Andrew sells as "Vaporwrap" except that instead of being in sheet form it is 1" tape as noted.

Scotchfil is available from any electrical supply and I think Home Depot carries it too. These putty style tapes and sheets flow under pressure to fill all gaps and really work well. They of course require plastic electrical tape to be applied over them to apply that pressure, and the trick is to apply a layer of the electrical tape directly to the connector before putting the Scotchfil or Vaporwrap on. This keeps the gooie tape from oozing into the threads which makes things easier when you have to remove the connector.

Bill AD5OL