[AMRadio] antennas

Edward Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Sun Oct 18 08:26:49 EDT 2009

Hi Guys,

Contrary to "...tribal knowledge", I insist that clear silicone
sealant---G.E. brand, whatever---still can't be beat on applications that
are out-of-doors & in the open...!

I smear it all over my PL-259 connectors---and then some---that I use to
hook-up my feeders to the bases / tuning networks of my extended inverted
"L" arrays for 160-meters here: in the open air, there are no noxious /
corrosive fumes to contend with...

In the Spring, when it's time to roll-up the radials & store away the tuning
networks, I simply get an X-acto knife & make a slit into the silicone the
length of the connector, then peel the whole thing off in one piece.

It's cheap, effective, and never allows water entry into the "works"---even
when buried for (literally) months at a time under a foot & more of snow!

I concur, however, with the "dangerous" potential side-effects of
silicone...case in point: one Field Day, many moons ago, I used silicone as
an adhesive to anchor a small air-variable capacitor down securely  inside a
Tupperware enclosure, used to tune a delta loop on 40. It was a dewey damp
Sunday morning when we opened-up the Tupperware lid to se why the tuning of
our antenna had gone awry...to our surprise, the rotor blades of the
capacitor were completely coated in rust!

Our only conclusion was that the noxious, vinegar-like smell of the
silicone, in a sealed environment, had somehow "attacked" the steel
capacitor, & aged it by a quantum leap!

Used outdoors & in the open, however, I've never had that problem...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ