[AMRadio] Speaker question

CL in NC mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 18:12:36 EDT 2009

I looked over the speakers at Parts Express just to see what they have.  The freq resp. of that $20 woofer is up to 2200 cycles.  There was a 'Pro' speaker that went to 6600 cycles.  Can a 10" diameter speaker, achieve a wide response when it has to move that large of a cone?  The  single 8 and 10 inch speakers in the old cabinet TV's and radios, I wonder what they would have tested out to freq. resp. wise.  Always thought those old radios and TV's sounded good because it was bassy due to the large speaker.  When you cranked up the treble, if it even had that option, it would get tinny sounding and lower audio out. They never did any fancy encloser either, just a hole in the cabinet somewhere and some wood screws.  I still use an 8" speaker from a 1950's era Silvertone B&W console TV, and still sounds great.  Forget foam suspended speakers, the air pollution always attacks the foam and they give up the ghost. But, that seems to be all you can
 find in the larger speakers now-a-days.

Charlie, W4MEC in NC