[AMRadio] I need som advice

Robert Nickels ranickel at comcast.net
Mon Oct 19 20:16:49 EDT 2009

Jim Wilhite wrote:
> Boy my ears are pinned back on this one.  I need a 10 inch speaker for
> my old HQ 129 speaker.
Jim - take a look around Parts Express:
http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm

Problem is, nowadays anything in the 10" range is likely to be a woofer
or sub-woofer that's meant to be used as part of a 2 or 3-way system and
what you want is a good old-fashioned "full range" speaker, which is
proving to be harder to find than I thought it would be.  But here's a
low-cost 10:" that I think I'd be willing to try:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-262

While the frequency response of this $17 woofer is given as 74-5000 hz,
it might sound pretty good.  If you wanted more highs, you could try the
approach used by Jensen and others who used to make full-range speakers
by  suspending a smaller PM speaker across the cone with a simple series
capacitor crossover to handle the midrange frequencies.

73, Bob W9RAN