[AMRadio] Open vs Closed QSOs

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 16:00:26 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Nick England <navy.radio at gmail.com> wrote:

>  And no response to a CQ on a
> clear frequency either means the repair job isn't working or nobody's
> listening.

They're online posting about talking on the air, Nick. (o:  You see
more and more AMers talking online about their preferences, this,
that, whatever else - and fewer on the air actually communicating.
This topic is a prime example, we've rehashed it numerous times here
as well as on AMfone. Opinions, preferences, practices vary from
person to person and aren't likely to change by talking about it on
here. But it's easy, so on it goes. It's one of my pet peeves - if a
fraction of the people who complain about things online spent that
much time on the air, the bands would be thriving. I gave up trying to
tailor the amateur bands to my liking years ago. The radios gods gave
us tunable receivers and transmitters with power switches for such
situations.

I'm only on 40 right now, but feel free to give me a yell if you hear
me, or drop a dime if you need to give something a go. Email even
works, though I've gotten better lately at staying off here in favor
of playing radio and whatever else. I do prefer nice audio but I'll
talk with just about anyone on AM, and even work cross-mode from time
to time. I know much of your interest lies with comms-quality gear
these days which is fine. It's about communicating, after all. Some of
the best contacts I've had were the ones least expected, be it
location or equipment used.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4