[AMRadio] Open vs Closed -expanded

Bill McCourt - WF1L wemccourt at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 11:57:14 EDT 2009

My practice is to listen, listen, listen and listen again before I attempt to join an established QSO.  In that way, I am familiar with the subject being discussed and can add meaningful material to the discussion.  I learned this established practice back in the 60's when I first became interested in Ham Radio but could only get a cheap Regen SW General Coverage receiver so I was limited to hamming vicariously.  When I was able to get my first CB Transceiver, I emulated my learned HF operating procedures as much as possible, staying away from the silliness that developed there over the years.

If an aspiring or newly minted ham wants to "get his act together" without the benefit of an elmer's guidance, there are two documents that one might read to develop a "responsible" and "mature" on air personna.  These being "Lose your Novice Accent" and the ARRL Operating Manual.  Reading these should lead anyone to appear knowledgeable,  polite and how to use proper etiquette on the airwaves.

Bill-WF1L