[AMRadio] open vs. closed -expanded

VJB wa3vjb at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 13:45:48 EDT 2009

>Reminds me
> of the
> masses railing against AM because they were better and
> smarter than
> anyone using AM.
>
> ~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4

Did "the masses" really say that, Todd?

That feels like a disservice to all the people who continued to make way for AM as our AM predecessors led the way into coordinated areas so we could minimize friction with those on incompatible modes.

I have heard stories that there were some people who questioned why anyone would stay on AM after SSB's struggle for acceptance was long since resolved. And they were probably the same sort of people who likely engaged in the range wars for a spot on the dial.

But it seemed most people simply migrated to SSB and continued without much mean-spirited pejorative against AM.

Today, there are still a few mean-spirited people who target AM with catcalls and wisecracks, and some of those people don't even date back to when SSB was fighting to be heard.

But they weren't "the masses" then or now, unless you can illuminate me some more.