[AMRadio] Hallicrafters R-12 speaker

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Fri Sep 4 21:26:53 EDT 2009

The Jensen P12R uses a 7 oz. alnico.  It is rated at 25 Watts.
Certainly more than the radio will do by itself.

My experience is that alnico magnets are more powerful per ounce than
old-fashioned ones.

That is why they use alnico and sometimes "rare-earth" materials in the
head assembly of computer hard drives.

It is one of the reasons for the reduction in size of drives.

Bob - N0DGN

Bob Peters wrote:
> You are correct... They used Jensen and Quam but
> only used 10 oz magnets...The magnet size is what
> determines sound quality on a speaker... My
> company manufactures both 5 and 10 oz but only up
> to 8 "...Now you make that speaker a coaxial and
> it will improve the quality by 50% or
> more...Speakers are just like radio's... The
> better the enclosure the better the speaker like a
> transmitter and an antenna...
>
> More later on enclosure design///
>
> Bob W1PE

|             AM Amateur Radio Operator    NØDGN                   |