[AMRadio] Hallicrafters R-12 speaker

John Coleman jc at pctechref.com
Sat Sep 5 12:51:56 EDT 2009

Yes indeed Bob,
	That is exactly what I meant about using a modern replacement.  Those 8 inch coaxial speakers will far out perform the old 12" speaker.  There was at one time some nice 12" coaxial speakers around but I don't see them anymore except in ovals for cars.  But, again, a guy could build a mounting plate adapter, are use the grill, to make these fit into the old cabinet, and have a very nice speaker system.

As far as great sound at low levels, there are a number of computer speaker sets made by Altec Lansing, Bose, and others that will just blow you away for under $50.00. They have power ratings that are very inflated in most cases, but they still sound great.

Now for ham radio listening with QRM and noise, I prefer a narrower bandwidth speaker.  I have some small 4 inch speakers in little wooden boxes, which can hardly be called HIFI.  I can put one right in front of my face and it is a lot like headphone presence.

The Devil is the culprit of old age I'm sure.  Don't believe in all that golden years stuff.
73,John, WA5BXO