[AMRadio] SP600 Question

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Mon Sep 14 12:41:27 EDT 2009

In line with your message, some time back  maybe a year or more,
John/K5PRO found a DX 100 in stock state.  He began to read and look
for modifications for the transmitter.  And as most of you know,
there are many that have been published so he gathered them together
and, one at a time, made those modifications.  They even included
changing the modulation transformer and almost all were to increase
the audio range and gain additional headroom.  The simple mod was to
parallel the coupling caps in the audio section only.  I wish John
would join this discussion to explain what all happened.

Some of them actually made the audio worse than the stock
configuration in terms of distortion.  I am not sure where John left
the DX 100 but from what I remember, the mods did not provide much,
if any, gain.    So after all that you have a piece of equipment
that is not like the manual.  And as most of us know, the paperwork
done when mods are made is not kept and transferred with the radio.
This leads to hours of tracing the circuit then deciding if we
should  keep the mod in place.

This is amateur radio at its finest.  People actually working on
something to improve it and we are one of the only groups that is
allowed to make modifications and use the radio on the air.
Everyone else must get approval from the FCC.  Where we go wrong is
failure to properly access and prove our work.  Most of us rely on
the ear of another ham or their S meter readings.  These two topics
are for a long discussion at another time, but my message is think
about what you are doing before taking the clippers to a radio.  You
actually may be doing more harm than good and you will definitely
reduce the value of the equipment if either of these two things are
important.  To me, removing a unit of a radio that I will not use
does not make sense.  However, that said, it is your radio to do as
you wish and one thing we try to do as operators of AM equipment is
preserve the equipment and mode.

Jim/W5JO