[AMRadio] SP600 Question

Ray Smith rrs4 at sti.net
Tue Sep 15 03:00:38 EDT 2009

Jim,

Thanks for your graciousness when you said, "it is your radio to do as you
wish and one thing we try to do as operators of AM equipment is preserve the
equipment and mode."  I greatly appreciate your comment.  Fields like that
of the electronic technician represent a very small selection of the
population, and I believe it includes a smarter than average group of
people.  I find that this also concentrates the percentage of Prima Dona's.
A Prima Dona is the grand old lady of the opera who demands it be done her
way, or not at all.  I find a statistically higher average of these people
in my chosen field of employment.

I hope that nobody will hate me as I admit that while a teen in the 1960's,
I stripped everything except the tuned circuits and their associated
hardware, and the HF local oscillator circuitry from a BC-348.  I then used
circuits from the ARRL ham manual and rebuilt my own radio using miniature
tubes.  Some of these had multiple tubes in one glass envelope, giving me
more total circuits than the WWII radio I had so little appearent respect
for.  I even gave my radio a product detector.

I learned a lot building up that homebrew radio in a BC-348 shell.  By use,
I learned that the local oscillator had too much drift, and to copy RTTY on
my homebrew Terminal Unit and retired teletype printer, I had to ride the
tuning control constantly.  The TU used 88 mH toroids from Ma Bell, and I
put these on frequency using a homebrew tuning fork oscillator.  Those were
some hours of real pleasure, indulging my love affair with communication
electronics.

I read quite insulting things today from some Hams who write and talk like
it is a sin to modify old tube equipment.  Don't get me wrong, I would not
lie and palm-off a modified radio as a classic or pristine collector's item.
I understand the difference.  I just prefer homebrew, even on a commercial
platform.  Some people talk like I should be ashamed of what I've done.  I
guess a few will forgive me for completely reworking my TCS-12 receiver, as
the wiring was destroyed by a mouse in 1982.  Does that make it OK for me to
gut it and replace the 12SK7 RF stages with 6LQ8's, using the triode as a
high impedance cathode-follower driving the very high-mu pentode side with a
choke fed, capacitor coupled output tank, all with the goal of higher Q by
removing the DC current from the coils?  (It is all to overcome the Miller
Effect.)  Different things excite different people.

I have a TCS-12 transmitter that I gutted back in the '60's.  I stripped out
the modulator back then and put it on CW at 100 Watts.  Nobody was using AM,
that I knew of.  When I do get it back on the air as a 100 Watt AM rig
(different modulation transformer of course), and I figure out how to get
some sort of 160 Meter inverted-V in the air, I hope somebody will hear me,
and give me a report.  It would be nice to be told the rig sounds good.
I've lugged that box around all these decades through all those moves, and I
would like it to look and sound good.

Ham radio is a collection of related hobbies.  For me, the pleasure is in
building something that looks as good as I can make it, and that works as
well as possible.  I guess I'll never be a real operator like most of you,
and I am a little envious.  But, please, all who read these confessions of
mine, realize that some of us actually love the electronics and the theory
more that operations.  I hope that what gives me great pleasure will not be
seen as a sin, because it has entailed the destruction of these three boat
anchors over the 60 years of my life.

I enjoy reading all of the technical comments shared here.  It helps me
enjoy the humble clamp tube as a fellow ham points out the problem of
grid-conduction it both excitation and the plate voltage are removed.  Those
early radio guys sure were smart, weren't they.  Or maybe they burned out a
few clamp tubes before they figured out how to stop doing that!

Ray Smith
KD6DKP