[AMRadio] AM Transmitter "quality"

Grant Youngman nq5t at tx.rr.com
Tue Sep 15 15:25:41 EDT 2009

On Sep 15, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Charles Ring wrote:

> While modern telephones can produce better audio (no carbon mics),
> modern phone exchanges don't. Th e old exchanges passed whatever audio
> was fed into them at least for local calls, but digital switching
> has a
> brick wall cutoff. I

It depends on whether your exchange is still using a TDM switch or
softswitch, and whether you're on a standard landline or VoIP
service.  Big difference.

Even TDM switches now go up past 3Khz -- the standard is in the 3.3Khz
range, still far from adequate.  VoIP service is far superior with
some services going up to the 7Khz range -- you can actually tell the
caller is Granny, which isn't always the case on TDM infrastructure.
On the landline here, my wife's sisters all sound the same -- I can't
tell who's calling.  If they call on the VoIP line, that isn't the
case.  There is discussion about improving cellular bandwidth, too,
but with the typical lousy handset, it may not make a lot of
difference.  Bad just sounds bad, not to mention the fact that all
cellular has really done is kill our "old fashioned" expectations of
what phone service should be.  We now fully accept glitchy, noisy and
totally unreliable service at an absurd price as the norm .. :-)

Grant/NQ5T