[AMRadio] 40M

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 10:47:17 EDT 2009

Rob, I don't think that is what Jim is suggesting at all. Rather, he is
likely referring to the 'dead air' groups who leave a radio running to
listen for their buddies, but aren't in QSO. You can listen to the frequency
for long periods with no activity. But call CQ or ask if the frequency is in
use, and they jump on you. Since they see it as 'their' frequency, no one
else should be using it.

I don't think anyone would advocate loading up and transmitting on a
frequency already in use. It's obviously a good to listen for a while since
there maybe someone transmitting that you don't hear. An ongoing problem for
the AMer on 40 is getting some activity going on a frequency before the busy
time of night kicks in. 7.160 is as good a place as any, but only if someone
is there to use it. Otherwise, find an open area and throw out a call. After
the dinner hour for most of us, the band is in full swing with DX. So
earlier is better.

73 -

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4