[AMRadio] Microphone Recommendation

Stevan A. White w5saw at pathwayz.com
Mon Sep 21 12:52:25 EDT 2009

In all likelihood this is probably a rehash of the Ford-Chevy-Dodge
discussion; but, I do prefer the Heil PR-30/40 over the Electro-Voice
RE-20/27.  (Apologies to the Sennheiser and Audio-Technica devotees, I
don't want to leave you out.)  While the EV mics are quite good they
have a few "bumps" and "dips" in the frequency response curve that,
while not too severe, alter the resultant audio just enough to make it
sort of bland to my ear.  This may not be true for every EV RE-20/27
user but it is for me and a lot of others -- NOT what I'd expect from a
mic that is as spendy as those.  I really like the warmth and smoothness
of the Heil PR-30/40.  The sensitivity is quite good and while it does
exhibit some proximity effect, for my money it is probably the best
vocal/announce mic I have ever had the pleasure of using.  (YMMV)  I
have not yet tried but was very pleased to see the PR-35 when it came
out.  It is a hand held version of the PR-30.  The PR-40 goes the extra
mile with extended frequency response (and more of "studio" look to it)
and is an absolutely stellar performer.  That and the Heil mics exceed
the performance of most similar dynamic mics and some condenser mics for
a lot le$$ money.  Although Bob Peters, W1PE and I are good friends, and
Bob Heil and I are probably friends now based on my comments about his
products, I have never been paid to promote Heil microphones or received
any product for my testimonials.  I do however keep finding the hidden
mic on the cover of "Radio" magazine and entering the monthly contest in
hopes of winning a Heil mic only to be passed over each and every
month.  (sigh)  This month it's a PR-40...I have my fingers
crossed...maybe I can finally replace my Shure SM-7!  :-)  Then there's
mic processing...

73 de W5SAW, Steve White