[AMRadio] Microphone recomendation

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 13:02:08 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Stevan A. White <w5saw at pathwayz.com> wrote:

> Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:
>
> > You can probably make a soup can sound decent with enough processing, so
> mic
> > choice becomes more a choice of preference and less one of performance.
> >
> Funny but quite true, you just need a "decent" soup can.

The particular one I have here is an old RCA 77D rebuilt by Clarence Kane
and given to me at my wedding rehearsal by my best man, WA2PJP. It will
eventually hang from an old Atlas BS-37 boom stand and travel through a
Collins 26W limiting compressor, 116F passive equalizer, and 212A console
before entering the 300G transmitter. It'll likely need a preamp added after
the equalizer too, which is really just an attenuator. Unlike most amateur
transmitters, broadcast mics and transmitters pretty much require the use of
some outboard processing.

OTOH, the audio coming out of a KW-1 will remain limited by design without
some major reworking. Be it a new audio driver circuit using 4 tubes vs. 2,
stiffer mod iron, or the age-old component modifications. Trying to run
outboard processing as-is will more likely add to the feeling of it really
being 'outboard distortion'.  Rather than trying to make it into something
it was never intended to be (a broadcast transmitter), I found it easier to
do the simple component mods including bypassing the clipper and splatter
filter circuits, enjoy it as-is, and get the 300G for the broadcast
experience.

You can really go wild with some of the old amateur gear with outboard mod
iron and the rest. It really gets down to what you like, what you expect
from it, and how much room you have. Simply following Jay's article in ER
makes the KW-1 sound really nice, though without major surgery, it will
never modulate like a custom-built homebrew or broadcast rig.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4