[AMRadio] Microphone recommendation

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 13:37:11 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Gerald Stockinger <
cliogunsmith at centurytel.net> wrote:

Since Astatic is
> no longer I would like to draw from the groups experience in rebuilding
> these.

Along with Bob's suggestion, I would suggest looking around at hamfests and
elsewhere for good or NOS replacement heads. It's always a roll of the dice,
but from time to time they do show up. I've got a few spares, someday I need
to sit down and test them all for output. Look for small padded envelopes
with just the chrome head inside.

Another less-known Astatic crystal mic that works almost as well is the T-3,
looks like a chrome egg. Uses a smaller element, but otherwise quite similar
in sound.

Astatic sold the replacent cartridges for a while, then stopped in favor of
using the remaining spares for on site rebuilds. No idea if they're still
doing this, but it might be worth checking into. IIRC, someone bought
Astatic in the recent past.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4