[AMRadio] Microphone recomendation

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 20:33:17 EDT 2009

Well at the risk of starting another long blowout, I would like to
meekly make the point that I find some justification in outboard
processing for AM if will add a little punch and clarity to the
sidebands and increase the average power in them.  I think since AM in
the U.S. is limited to about half the power it once was, this is a
pale attempt to make up for that but it's better than nothing.  I want
to be clear that I'm not advocating the kind of distorted processing
found in those RF speech processors that the contest and dx ops use
with all knobs fully clockwise, but rather the gentle audio
compressors and fast attack peak limiters  that will slightly raise
the average audio level going into the rig maintaining a very low THD.

73

Rob
K5UJ