[AMRadio] better meter, same price

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 15:01:15 EDT 2009

The $2.99 meter at Harbor freight has removable leads, 1000VDC and
750VAC ranges, Ohms200 to 2000K, 10ADC and 200maAC and includes a
transistor tester and back lighting.  I usually buy 5 each time I am
in there and I sometimes use them as panel meters in projects if there
is room behind the panel.  Just set them to the scale you want, mount
behind a rectangular cutout to view the face, use a 9V zener to grab a
little power from the main circuit of the project....or if you dont
mind changing the battery, leave it as is.  Its cheaper than you can
buy a panel meter and you can set it to what ever range you want and
label it below the viewing port as to what it is reading.  Save the
leads for when you connect your bench unit to a high voltage circuit
with it in AMPS mode and burn up a lead.  .......Dont ask how I know.
BTW, its fused so only the lead takes the hit.

--
Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."