[AMRadio] better meter, same price

Greg Mijal bluebirdtele at embarqmail.com
Thu Sep 24 16:50:11 EDT 2009

My experience with the little red wonders have been mixed.  They will blow
if you try to read large amounts of current. Also, on the highest voltage
range there was a 50 v dc difference between the two meters I was using to
check out a plate supply.  I think the manufacturer was more interested in
low voltage, low current measurents and didn't really build the unit to
handle tube gear sized power.
The Radio Shack $29.99 auto ranging meter is worse.
Very slow to auto-range and intermittant operation.  Blows fuses frequently
too.
I just bought a $20 DMM from Sears and so far, it's seems to be ok.
73's
Greg
WA7LYO
Kinston NC