[AMRadio] better meter, same price

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 17:50:57 EDT 2009

Have you tried the Yellow one?  I have some of both and the Red ones
seem to be the more durable.  But at $2.99 each I dont realy worry
about having one blow because usually several of the scales are
usually still usable.  I mark the meter as to its defective scales,
throw it in a drawer to wait until I need a panel meter.  I go to the
drawer and find one on which the desired scale is still functioning
and build it into the box.  Free digital panel meters!!!

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Greg Mijal <bluebirdtele at embarqmail.com> wrote:

> My experience with the little red wonders have been mixed.  They will blow
> if you try to read large amounts of current. Also, on the highest voltage
> range there was a 50 v dc difference between the two meters I was using to
> check out a plate supply.  I think the manufacturer was more interested in
> low voltage, low current measurents and didn't really build the unit to
> handle tube gear sized power.
> The Radio Shack $29.99 auto ranging meter is worse.
> Very slow to auto-range and intermittant operation.  Blows fuses frequently
> too.
> I just bought a $20 DMM from Sears and so far, it's seems to be ok.
> 73's
> Greg
> WA7LYO
> Kinston NC