[AMRadio] Microphone recomendation

John Coleman jc at pctechref.com
Fri Sep 25 14:27:08 EDT 2009

Very nice combination Don.  Have you decided what those big triodes tubes
are that I gave you, characteristics, etc., and speaking of Microphones have
you found one of those connectors or a part number.

As for the 12AX7s, I have always wondered if a guy could build a SS
replacement with the same anode/drain characteristic curves or close as the
12AX7.

FETs have a very high input resistance, They can be configure with a higher
leak resistor than tubes without effecting the bias because they don't have
the "contact or collision bias effect".  They don't have the typical triode
curves, but are more like a pentode curve set (constant current set as it is
sometimes called).  It may be possible to correct this through feedback
biasing or depending on the circuit it will be used in, it may not matter.
They may also require some over voltage protection to prevent breakdown when
someone plugs in a microphone and a high pulse is placed on the input.  I
feel that all of these things can be overcome and good product resulting.

I can see it now SS-AX7 by Matsumushisomma

Maybe I'm behind and it is already here!

John