[AMRadio] AM 75- 80 meters

Edward Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Sun Sep 27 11:16:54 EDT 2009

Hi Bernie,

I sorta hung up my Viking II & RCA AR-88LF combo into retirement mode up on
the shelf here several years back  for the very reason you mentioned about
40-meters...

I'd call & call CQ at various hours of the day with no responses whatsoever.
So I finally stopped trying.

As for 75-meters, well, I guess some old habits are slow to die...but from
what I've been hearing up & around the "window" of 3800-3885-KHz, more than
a few of the regular AM denizens seem to actually enjoy the challenges of
standing-up to the random (and by times, downright vicious!) heckling from a
few of the more "expressive" within the SSB crowd...

NOT the sort of place you'd really want to demonstrate the joys & pleasures
of AM phone, to visitors in the shack!

The part of the band around 3.7-MHz seems far more civilized. I enjoy
SWL'ing the gentlemen who come down there for some interesting technical
QSOs on AM...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ