[AMRadio] Local neighborhood radio noise

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sun Sep 27 12:17:25 EDT 2009

I've noticed a growing trend of 100w-class AM and SSB stations
reporting less
success in recent years.  I have a theory that this is due to the
ever-climbing local noise levels in our neighborhoods.  This noise will
tend to mask the weaker signals at the receive end, resulting in fewer
possible "recipients" for low and medium power CQs.
I find I have to be very diligent about tracking down and eliminating
sources of noise in my own house just to keep my receive noise level
reasonable.

I'm seeing the same thing in AM and FM broadcasting - long-time
home-based listeners to our radio stations are having more trouble in
recent years hearing the same old stations transmitting with the same
power levels - the background noise is covering up the fringe
reception.  Mobile reception doesn't seem to be as troubled - except by
the recent trend of traffic light systems that produce VHF interference
at intersections.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/