[AMRadio] Local neighborhood radio noise (was AM 75- 80 meters)

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sun Sep 27 12:28:46 EDT 2009

Dennis wrote:

>On the broadcast frequencies, most of the noise comes from 'Hybrid
>Digital', or HD implementation.  Some of that trash on the ham bands
>is overmodulated PSK-31 or other digital mode comms stuff.  The rest
>is good old hash from crappy appliances and bad electrical
distribution grid.

In the case of HD Radio, one man's noise is another man's very nice
signal.  Depends on the receiver you're using.  For the digital
listener, the analog signals are the "noise"  -grin-

There are many sources of noise but the ones you listed are mostly
beyond our control.  I was getting at noise generated right in your
house or neighbors houses.  You can exert some control over that by
choosing products that are less noisy, filtering, etc.

I recently returned some very radio-noisy motion sensor light units I
bought at Home Depot.   The clerk as astonished that (A) I would return
something because of radio interference, and (B) that a light fixture
can cause radio interference.  She probably didn't believe me  anyway.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.