[AMRadio] Ham Radio Growing in the Age of Twitter

Bry Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Wed Apr 7 06:36:47 EDT 2010

Intereeting Jay. I saw where they included a link to a rather sad story from 2007 about the FCC ending the cw testing requirement.

I wonder how many of those 700,000 U.S. Hams are active. I would guess that few
have ever ventured onto HF for the real amateur radio experience. I cut my teeth as an SWL listening to 160m  and 80m AM. Later I listened to 20m ssb, and also figured out why it was a fun idea to make the effort to learn the code. I still think it's a great advantage over phone in a number of situations.
We even used to run FM-MCW on 2m for fun in the 1980s around Nashville.

Brian Carling, sent from my smartphone