[AMRadio] Ham Radio Growing in the Age of Twitter


David Knepper collinsradio at comcast.net
Thu Apr 8 13:22:35 EDT 2010


You are lucky the QSO was not about a guy going in for a knee replacement or 
that his wife and kids left him, or that his dog died, etc.


David Knepper, W3ST/W3CRA
Publisher of the Collins Journal
Secretary of the Collins Radio Association
www.collinsra.com
Join today
Nets: 14.263 Mhz, 1900Z, Sundays
3.805 Mhz, 2300Z, Mondays

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bernie Doran" <qedconsultants at embarqmail.com>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service" 
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 1:13 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Ham Radio Growing in the Age of Twitter


>I almost did not comment David, but was not sure if you ment all hams of
> just "us'  if just us I am not surprised even a little, the guys on AM
> typically have a good idea of what they are doing and that is a major 
> reason
> why I work AM.  ten was open a bit yesterday and I worked a few
> stations.(SSB)  the conversations were short ( not on my end) and sounded
> like CB jargon.
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "David Knepper" <collinsradio at comcast.net>
> To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
> <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 10:07 AM
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Ham Radio Growing in the Age of Twitter
>
>
>> Bernie, I should have been more explicit in my reference to "like hams."
>> I
>> was referring to the folks like us that enjoy "old-time radio," and not 
>> to
>> the entire universe of hams.
>>
>> Thank you for this excellent point and allowing me to clarify my 
>> comments.
>>
>> David Knepper, W3ST/W3CRA
>> Publisher of the Collins Journal
>> Secretary of the Collins Radio Association
>> www.collinsra.com
>> Join today
>> Nets: 14.263 Mhz, 1900Z, Sundays
>> 3.805 Mhz, 2300Z, Mondays
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>> From: "Bernie Doran" <qedconsultants at embarqmail.com>
>> To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
>> <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
>> Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 9:40 AM
>> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Ham Radio Growing in the Age of Twitter
>>
>>
>>> HI Dave: not to throw water on you premise, but the sample size is far
>>> too
>>> small and the group sampled is not representative of the population. My
>>> guess is that the true range is less than 50% for all licensed hams,
>>> probably much less!  I would wager 50% are not even active.  Bernie 
>>> W8RPW
>>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>>> From: "David Knepper" <collinsradio at comcast.net>
>>> To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
>>> <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
>>> Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 8:21 AM
>>> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Ham Radio Growing in the Age of Twitter
>>>
>>>
>>>> Based on my sample size of 43 that results indicate that 99 percent
>>>> responded affirmatively to each of the statements in the first survey.
>>>> I
>>>> concluded that there is a high likelihood that the entire populations 
>>>> of
>>>> like hams would express a similar response rate at a 95 percent
>>>> confidence
>>>> level.
>>>>
>>>> Thank you to all those that participated in this survey.
>>>>
>>>> David Knepper, W3ST/W3CRA
>>>> Publisher of the Collins Journal
>>>> Secretary of the Collins Radio Association
>>>> www.collinsra.com
>>>> Join today
>>>> Nets: 14.263 Mhz, 1900Z, Sundays
>>>> 3.805 Mhz, 2300Z, Mondays
>>>>
>>>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>>>> From: <sbjohnston at aol.com>
>>>> To: <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
>>>> Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 8:42 PM
>>>> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Ham Radio Growing in the Age of Twitter
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Do you own a soldering iron?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Yes ___X___  No _______  Many, I've lost count.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Do you own a roll of solder?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Yes ____X__  No _______ Many, I've been stockpiling lead-tin solder.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> In the last 30 days, did you solder anything that was related to
>>>>> amateur
>>>>>> radio equipment?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Yes ___X___  No _______ Many - repair and building electronic stuff
>>>>> is a passion of mine.
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Steve WD8DAS
>>>>>
>>>>> sbjohnston at aol.com
>>>>> http://www.wd8das.net/
>>>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> Radio is your best entertainment value.
>>>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>
>>>>> ______________________________________________________________
>>>>> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
>>>>> AMRadio mailing list
>>>>> Searchable Archives:
>>>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/amradio@mailman.qth.net/
>>>>> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
>>>>> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
>>>>> Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
>>>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
>>>>> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
>>>>>
>>>>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>>>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ______________________________________________________________
>>>> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
>>>> AMRadio mailing list
>>>> Searchable Archives:
>>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/amradio@mailman.qth.net/
>>>> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
>>>> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
>>>> Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
>>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
>>>> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
>>>>
>>>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ______________________________________________________________
>>> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
>>> AMRadio mailing list
>>> Searchable Archives: 
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/amradio@mailman.qth.net/
>>> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
>>> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
>>> Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
>>> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
>>>
>>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>>
>>
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
>> AMRadio mailing list
>> Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/amradio@mailman.qth.net/
>> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
>> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
>> Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
>> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
>> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>
>
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
> AMRadio mailing list
> Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/amradio@mailman.qth.net/
> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> 



More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 18 Dec 2017.