[AMRadio] Soldering, Me = Yes! Building, soldering and wiriing techniques?

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 13:58:48 EDT 2010

I agree.  I also have decided it was a mistake to eliminate the CW
requirement for the license, not because it is necessary for
communication (it is not) but because it is necessary to communicate
with the most basic simple homebrew rig, a CW transmitter.

Now, even if we teach homebrewing in the form of electronics lessons
and construction skills, the builder of the most basic rig, a crystal
controlled cw transmitter, will not have learned cw already from
getting his license.  He will have his completed project and not be
able to do anything other than key a dead cw carrier and un-key it.
Of course he can learn the code at that point, but wouldn't it be more
fun and easier if he already had that skill ready to go?     Many have
said, and I also in the past, that no one wants to learn CW now with
all the high-tech gadgets in our lives these days.  They miss the
point--it is not all about CW only, but CW in combination with
learning about radio, building a basic rig as a learning experience
and then using CW to communicate with it before moving on to more
advanced circuits and transmitters.

Dropping CW from the license test has been one more step in turning
ham radio into glorified CB.

I think we need to focus on learning electronics as an attraction to
ham radio and bring back a Novice type HF privilege CW license because
we lost the introduction to ham radio that involved building and
getting on HF right away.  Now we have new people starting out with 2
meter FM handy talkiies and it is not the same.

I used to be in favor of dropping CW from the test until I realized
all that I wrote above.

73

Rob
K5UJ