[AMRadio] retro 75

k1swl at earthlink.net k1swl at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 11 08:10:38 EDT 2010

Brett-

If you're using an electret mike, did you add a bias pull-up resistor for
it?   My other thought is that the fairly low impedance looking into the
mic input is affecting signal level and adding emphasis to the audio
response. For an electret mic, you may want a JFET buffer there.

Oh yes- modulation in excess of 100% is easy with the control loop open.
The TDA2003V is a 10W amplifier. 'Overkill' for this application, but I had
nothing but trouble with the TDA7056 (3W) I'd tried earlier. I never found
the combination of layout and decoupling that kept that device stable, and
I was seeing a  stubborn 5-6 dB bulge in the audio response at around 500
Hz.

I thought about your earlier comment about AF distortion and the 100K
resistor fix.  I wonder if you used a gain pot with a value higher than the
suggested 50-100K. The gain pot, rather than the 1M resistor at the JFET
emitter, should be dominating the time constant on the detector circuit.

  73- Dave Benson, K1SWL