[AMRadio] Ham Radio Growing in the age of Twitter

Bernie Doran qedconsultants at embarqmail.com
Sun Apr 11 13:59:24 EDT 2010

Don: maybe  you are just one of those old farts that listens to AM BC!!!
I bet you do not even stay on the
"approved " frequencies ( five kc intervals) yep, you about covered it
except for the ones that break in for a signal report and can not hear
anyone else!!! I always want to say well then what in hell did you break in
for. It is worse on the higher bands as they usually do not hear the other
stations.  I do get a lot of first timers on AM at the 3.7 range, I always
take the time to try and help them and most seem to be interested.  I think
there is more AM activity now than when I got back on about five years ago.
I always lose the fast  ID returns, by the time all my relays drop and
transfer its just the suffix, if my ears pick that up. I remember when it
was normal after a CQ, to turn off the modulator B+, turn off the xmter B+,
flip the antenna ( Knife switch) turn the rx to operate, forgot the vfo, had
to turn it off also unless crystal control.  then do the reverse. not
conducive to a short transmission!!!    also forgot the novice days when one
would tune around over maybe ten Kc to see if anyone was calling!!
Bernie---- Original Message -----