[AMRadio] The Art of Ragchewing

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sun Apr 25 21:46:04 EDT 2010

On AM I enjoy QSOs using what you describe as a "ragchew" (longer
transmissions) roundtable *and* the fast-turnaround group conversations
.  Most AMers do the long transmissions, I admit, but it should not be
considered the only way it is done on the mode.

Your essay's discussion of "the art conversation" should be helpful in
getting people to join in AM QSOs, but I wouldn't emphasize that the
long-winded roundtable is the only way to use AM.  That only leads to
arguments among hams.

Also, it can be a real problem when low-power or limited-antenna
stations try to do the long transmissions.  Much better that they make
a short transmission and pass it along, lest they go into a fade and
confuse everyone by their disappearance.

Isn't it better to choose the operating style that suits the group or
the situation, rather than try to say there is only one right way to do
AM?

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/