[AMRadio] The Art of Ragchewing

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 00:02:23 EDT 2010

I don't particularly care for the fast TR type qso.  I hear it mostly
in big groups but even though I currently run mostly modern gear, I
have to switch a couple of things and prefer longer transmissions
where I have a few seconds to check the carrier level and see things
"settle down" so I like the format in which we all take a turn amongst
one or two or three stations.

Yes, before we get to the art of ragchewing, the stations and band
have to be able to support a ragchew QSO.  I like daytime in winter on
75, night on 160 in winter and days in summer on 40 for this reason.

If there is an art to ragchewing, it is only the art of conversation
and that is to simply find something about the other person and ask
questions and get him to talk about it while you take notes and ask
more questions.  We all love to talk about what we are interested in
don't we?  All you have to do is find that thing and let the other ham
tell you about it.

73

Rob
K5UJ