[AMRadio] The Art of Ragchewing

BILL GUYGER bguyger at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 26 11:25:03 EDT 2010

FWIW The nickname among broadcast engineers for the MW series is "Muddy Water"-xx because of the audio Intermodulation Distortion the thing produces. I'm not sure that would raise it's ugly head in ham use since you won't be processing your audio as much as broadcast stations do, and I probably shouldn't have "muddied the waters" commenting, but at this very instant I'm fighting for the company I work for to not buy a new Harris product, a 3DX-25 transmitter, because the IM goes thru the roof when reduced to low power for night time operation.

For you other b'cast engineers on the list the IMD is just one of my concerns having had to tend two 3DX-50 transmitters. I actually got a Harris honcho to admit the 3DX series is not as good as the DX series (which I like) since they removed a bunch of parts like vacuum caps in the output stages to make the thing cheaper to manufacture.

Bill