[AMRadio] OT: FCC pronouncement on I2R power measurement?

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Aug 5 08:39:02 EDT 2010

> "Can anyone here point me to written evidence that FCC accepted an I
> squared R power measurement at the antenna for evidence of AM bc licence
> compliance, within a range of +/- 2% certainty."

Nigel:

It's helpful to read three FCC rules together:

73.51
73.57
73.1560

The 2% figure you're referring to likely pertains to the accuracy of remote
AM antenna and directional common point measurements in 73.57.  Further,
73.51 discusses the determination of operating power.  And, 73.1560
describes upper and lower power limits, based on class of service.  Rules
pertaining to analog AM service power measurements have remained relatively
unchanged for a very long time.

Paul, W9AC