[AMRadio] Propagation question

John Coleman jc at pctechref.com
Thu Aug 19 09:53:27 EDT 2010

I'll add a little more to that John.  And I know very little about it.  The ionosphere is moving up and down with respect to the earth surface causing a Doppler shift in the sky wave or one of the sky wave paths (there maybe multiples).  This Doppler frequency shift causes a low freq beat to appear in the receiver as it mixes with the other waves from other paths, (ie ground waves).  If the beat is rapid we call it rapid QSB otherwise is slow fading or QSB.  I'm not sure why it is so selective but I know that the more ionized the reflective layer is the stronger it reflects, and it is frequency sensitive, hence propagation differences from band to band.  My understanding is that as the Solar activity changes, especially sunset and rise. The density and height of the layers changes. Certain densities reflect certain frequency more than other densities.  During this transitional period it can be very selective, removing one sideband more that the carrier or just the carrier.  When the carrier is reduced then the received signal level drops and it sounds over modulated because the sidebands are stronger than the carrier.  If the carrier is increased you can receive a very strong signal but may sound under modulated or lacking in high frequency sounds.  I have watched the effects as it sweeps across the 75 meter band starting at one end creating havoc and ending at the other end.  Then perhaps 10 to 30 min later it all gets right again.  This seems to be more slightly after sun set in the fall.

A very interesting topic.
John Coleman, WA5BXO

BTW Brian, W5AMI, sorry we couldn't get together last weekend, another time perhaps.