[AMRadio] D-104 modifications

John johndtate at post.com
Thu Aug 26 20:32:40 EDT 2010

Bob said the Astatic engineer made this statement....

"The preamp is to make the terrible new crystal elements sound good"

This warrants a question.  At what point did they start using the "new
crystal elements"  ?  I have a much older D-104.  In fact, it has a
very plain stand, no ptt on the base of the handle.  Not sure when it
was manufactured but I imagine it was well before the 1970s.  It sounds
great into old speech amp gear that has hi-Z input.

Apparently the question is not that simple due to the variations in
D-104 crystals.  However, I can certainly assert that the older crystal
elements do great into a Hi-Z input typical of most older boat anchor
AM equipment.

John