[AMRadio] D-104 modifications

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 11:50:31 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Bob Peters <rwpeters at swbell.net> wrote:
> That is all very true Todd  and if you want to make it sound GREAT check out
> the K7DYY preamp...It does have EQ in it and will make any d104 sound
> magnificent...Fits into the mic just like a stock pre but far from Stock
> LOL By the way  Check out K7DYY Mod Monitor for AM while on his site and off
> course his class E AM stuff...He does great work

And there are more than a few rigs that can benefit from a higher
input level, provided it's done right. Simplified outboard audio
processing. Several folks have played with this like K7DYY with
excellent results. Then again, it's different when you have a specific
goal you can customize to versus the mass-production,
one-size-fits-all approach of the Astatic preamp. I doubt many of the
targeted users in the 11m band cold hear, muchless noticed the
difference on most of the available gear with its tiny, tinny
speakers. It was all about sounding louder, to offset the 4 watt
limitation.

Some have criticized Asatic for catering to the CB crowd, but
considering the market size compared to the amateur market, it no
doubt helped them survive a couple more decades. The continuing
erosion of sales combined with problems securing the Rochelle salts
required for making the crystal elements was apparently what brought
them down.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4