[AMRadio] D-104 modifications

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 12:15:50 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com> wrote:
> To hear it you'd think the D104 is the only xtal mic in the world.
> Why not try other Astatic mics?  The J30 comes to mind.  In my opinion
> if you all like those table stand mics, the D104 isn't really the best
> looking one of the bunch anyway.  I like the looks of the 10-DA
> myself.  You might stand a better chance of finding one of those with
> a good element since most people seem to irrationally obsess over the
> D104.

I don't know if I'd say they obsess, the D-104 is just very prolific.
It even shows up in a number of old movies. It's just one of the old
standards that many folks can identify or have in their station. This
is just a thread on how to improve the pre-amp version so it's heavy
in D-104 content. :D

One of my favorites is the T-3, also an Astatic mic. Looks like a
chrome egg. Turner made a couple of interesting looking mic heads that
look and work well with the old tube gear. IIRC, the 10DA is a dynamic
head? I use one of those with the Clegg Venus for SSB and the T-3 with
the Zeus.

Tough to beat the RCA 77 or 44 for looks, but ribbon mics require a
fair amount of processing to sound decent. Definitely not plug-n-play
like the average Astatic mic.

~ Todd/KAQ