[AMRadio] D-104 modifications

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 21:38:30 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 4:09 PM, D. Chester <k4kyv at charter.net> wrote:

> Why is there a problem securing Rochelle salt?  I have heard this elsewhere
> on the net too, but Rochelle salt is not exactly unobtanium. There are
> instructions available for making the stuff at home using every-day
> household chemicals, for example
> http://rimstar.org/materials/piezo/rochelle1.htm  I think that story of
> scarcity of Rochelle salt is bogus.

IIRC, it was more to do with their supplier, Don. Either not being
able to supply the quantity, or at all, not being able to find a
replacement supplier. It's been about a decade since it all happened,
so it's kinda fuzzy now. I do recall there was a frenzy when they
announced they would be discontinuing selling replacement cartridges,
but last I knew they had retained some number of cartridges for
in-house repairs only. Send them your mic head and they'd replace the
crystal cartridge and return it for a fee. No idea when or if that
stopped, thought I recall the company was sold at some point.

~ Todd/KAQ