[AMRadio] D-104 modifications

Jim Wilhite w5jo at att.net
Fri Aug 27 22:22:28 EDT 2010

Not too many years back, a couple maybe, I sent one of my D 104 mics to
the people who owned the name Astatic, Omnitronics as I recall.  For
about 48 bucks they replaced the cartridge with an original (according
to them) and returned it to me for ~$48.

I just did a quick search for Omnitronics and found scads of returns for
that name and none of the websites that I viewed mentioned Astatic.  I
wonder if they are still around doing business but, given the niche
market for these mics,  I wouldn't bet on it.

CB radio and hams are the only people who use(d) them and they have
saturated both markets pretty well.  For years if I found one at a fest,
I would take the head to someone with an oscilloscope to see if it had
output.  I would whistle different tones into the head to see the
response.  Not very scientific but it gave me an idea whether the mic
was working.  You never know the quality until it is attached to an
amplifier.  Maybe the best answer is the Heil Sound replacement
cartridge these days.

With the original I put a resistor in series with the element to flatten
the response curve.  Values between 150 K to 500 K would do that.  Then
run it into a high impedance grid like some have mentioned and you can't
tell it is a D 104 if the resistor is large enough.

Jim/W5JO.