[AMRadio] Comment from N0JEF

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Wed Feb 10 19:22:30 EST 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, kj4djf at aol.com wrote:

> I read an article about AM use in the ham bands in a recent QST magazine
> and was intrigued.
>
> The article even gave the favorite AM freqs.  I have a 200 watt AM
> transciever so I wanted to give it a go on 80 meters.  Problem is, it
> seems noone even cares to listen to see if anyone wants to join in.
> The people just short key it back and forth passing it between the click
> of regulars and never seem to open it up to see if anyone new wants to
> join in.
>
> Very frustrating.

   I have many times tried to remind those in a fast-paced roundtables on
AM, to find - and then USE - a little known control switch on their rigs,
known as the "Release To Listen" button.

   Then there's the Aubible Station ID Function every 10 minutes that often
fails to get programmed, or is muted, or something....

  Oh yeah: keeping track of your 'place' in a round-table...  "ummmm,
uhhhh, welllll....  I fergit who I was s'posed t' send it too, sooo,
ummmmmmm.... whoever that was, it's yer turn OM...."

mumble grumble mutter...

Cheers

John KB6SCO